Friday 8 April 2011

Ways with Kale

I've been a bit slack on the blogging front this week, too busy enjoying the sunshine! Despite this I've been making a few different bits and as my dad took me to the farmers market in Olny on Sunday, I've been trying to use up all the goods he brought me. One of the things I got was a gigantic bag of red kale (seriously, it's bigger than my head) so I've been thinking of different ways I could use it and this is what I came up with!


The first recipe I tried I found on BBC Good food, it was quick and simple, which was perfect because I'd left cooking until about 9 o'clock at night! You can find the recipe here and it's also vegan (omitting the veggie parmesan I put on mine!)

I also picked up some Wobbly Bottom Farm piri piri goats cheese at the market because I though it would be great on a pizza. So I made an asparagus, kale and peri peri goats cheese pizza. I was going to make my own pizza bases, but I found some fresh ready made ones in M&s and decided to be lazy!


To make it you just need a handful of asparagus cut lengthways, a handful of kale, pizza bases, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and peri peri goats cheese. The steam the kale and asparagus for 1-2 minutes, while they're steaming cover the pizza base in sauce and then cheese. Take the kale and asparagus off of the heat, move on to some kitchen roll to remove excess water and place on the pizza. Top with the goats cheese (I also put some chili and garlic salt all over) and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

The last thing I made was kale pesto, which was a bit weird, but worth a try! I wanted it on Gnocchi, but I couldn't find any on the night I was cooking so used some pasta instead. It was super easy to make so I will definitely try it again with Gnocchi.


Serves 2
30 g mug toasted pinenuts or almonds
50g of vegetarian parmesan
2 handfuls of kale,chopped, with stems removed
A glug of olive oil
A pinch of sea salt
Chili to taste

Grind the pine nuts and salt in a pestle and mortar. Blend the kale in a food processor until well chopped but not mushy and add to the pestle and mortar with the chili, olive oil and parmesan and grind until well mixed et viola! Alternatively you could just put it all in the food processor, I just wanted to play with the pestle and mortar.




So I feel I achieved my kaley goal, and it's also supposed to be a super food so I didn't mind adding it to a lot of my meals this week! If you haven't already tried Kale, then you definitely should, I've discovered that it's actually quite a versatile ingredient, and it's super cheap too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More