Tuesday 24 May 2011

My Dad's Spicy Bean Soup

One of the reasons I've been able to commit to being vegetarian for the last 7 years is that both of my parents are fully supportive and have always looked out for new veggie recipes to cook me. My dad first made this for me when I started college 6 years ago and it's been one of my favorites since. It's really easy to make (although I've only made it once, I leave it to him) and very filling, especially with some warm crusty bread.



Serves 2 (probably serves more if you don't eat absolutely loads of it like we do)

glug of olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
3/4 pint of vegetable stock
500g passata
1 tin mixed beans
1-2 chilies chopped (depending on how hot you want it)
1 tsp of sugar

Start by softening the onion and pepper in the olive oil until translucent, then add the stock and passata and mix together. Add the beans, chilies and sugar and bring the soup to the boil mixing the ingredients together. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for around 30 minutes until it has thickened and serve with some crusty bread.

(I'm trying to get my mum to cook my favourite dish of hers for Sunday dinner, but she needs some more convincing)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More