Sunday 29 May 2011

My Mum's Vegetable Bake

People always ask me what I have with a roast dinner if I don't have meat, and as I don't really like meat subsitities my mum makes this. It's basically a very indulgent creamy, cheesy vegetable dish: proper good comfort food (I belive in it's healing properties, it's the first meal I had both times I got my lip pierced!). I've been trying to persuade my mum to cook it all week. In the end I made it, along with the first roast dinner I've managed to excecute without royally fucking something up!

So here's the recipe,

serves 6-8

glug of olive oil
1 butternut squash chopped
2 heads of broccoli (florets picked off)
250g whole shallots peeled
600g crème fraiche (said in the tone of Randy Marsh)
250g grated cheese
25g bread crumbs

To start preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Put the shallots and squash into a large frying pan with the olive oil and soften on a medium heat.

While they are softening bring some water to the boil and add the broccoli, cook for around 5 minutes, drain and place in a large dish. When the vegetables have softened add the crème fraiche and turn the heat up so that it starts to bubble. Then add most of the cheese and the bread crumbs (reserve some for the top) and mix in well until all the cheese has melted. Let the mixture simmer for around 10 minutes until it has thickened and then add it to the dish with the broccoli. Mix well and coat the broccoli in sauce and then top it with the left over cheese and breadcrumbs. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes and serve!

I had it with roast potatoes, homemade Yorkshire puddings and cabbage but it works well with any roast dinner foods. So there you have it, 7 of my favourite foods for National Vegetarian week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More