Thursday 28 July 2011

Vegetable and Ale Pie and Grove Farm

When Mike and I were on our strawberry picking mission, I found this PYO which had loads of different fruits and veg, needless to say I desperately wanted to go there. Especially as you get to dig your own potatoes, although it turns out that I’m not actually very good at that! So yeah Mike and I set off with the intention of picking enough stuff to make lunch and got strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, potatoes, carrots, onions and broad beans. It was so cheap and such good quality, I wish I could go there every week! 






So with our veg made vegetable and ale pie and mash. I've made this recipe about 1000 times, and each time it’s been different. As I said in my veganism day 5 post, I can’t remember if it was Emma or Phoebe who invented this (I think it was both of them) but we always used to make some variety, either with red wine or ale. It’s great with both so go with your preference. It doesn't matter what veg you use in here, so it’s perfect for making use of what’s in season, and it’s best served with some lovely mustard mash! (and it’s suitable for vegans!)


Glug of oil
Around 1kg of mixed vegetables (best to stick to 4 e.g squash, courgette, leeks and sweet potato, or onion, carrots, broad beans and asparagus)
½ litre of vegan gravy (bisto does nicely)
200 ml of vegan ale or wine
1 pack of puff pastry

Sweat the vegetables on a medium heat for a few minutes in the oil, then add the gravy (I like the gravy really thick), turn up the heat and let it simmer and reduce until the vegetables are starting to soften. Add the ale or wine and continue cooking for a few more mins. Then roll out the pastry and cover a large pie dish (leaving enough for the top) and pour the filling in. Pop the top on and cook for 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 degrees. Serve it up with loads of mash and fatty on down.


We also made a summer pudding with the berries we picked. I haven’t made one since I was about 10 so it took me back! It was loosely based on the recipe a BBC Good Food (this is vegan too)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More