Sunday 7 August 2011

Chocolate Shortbread Sandwiches

As promised here’s the recipe for the chocolate shortbread sandwiches that I took to Vegan Pot Luck IV. My first attempt at making chocolate spread/hazelnut praline failed miserably! I tried roasting my own hazelnuts which came out burnt and ruined the whole thing, so on the second attempt I brought ready roasted which worked a lot better! These are great little vegan treats because the praline is so smooth and chocolately you would never know it was dairy free!



Makes 26 mini shortbread

Chocolate spread/praline:
100g chopped and roasted hazelnuts
70g icing sugar
20g cocoa powder
a few drops of vanilla essence

Chocolate shortbread:
200g flour
10g cocoa powder
150g vegan spread (I used Pure soya)
70g unrefined caster sugar

Make the chocolate spread first so it has time to set in the fridge. Put the nuts into a food processor and blend until it becomes a liquidy consistency, it does take some time but just keep going as the heat from the blades with help to melt the nut butter. When it looks spreadable (remember it will become less fluid once it cools) add the cocoa powder, icing sugar and vanilla essence and blend again until well mixed. Pour the mixture in to a tupperware container and leave in the fridge to cool.

Then make the short bread by creaming together the butter and sugar until soft, add the flour and cocoa powder and mix well to form a dough (I like to do this with my hands! It’s much easier). Roll out on to a floured surface and cut out with a mini cookie cutter or small cup and bake in the oven for 10 minutes then leave to cool on a wire rack.

Once cooled, spread the shortbread with the chocolate spread and sandwich together! Sprinkle with some more sugar and enjoy! 

3 comments:

Oh Heather, those look terrific. I don't think anyone would know - or care - that they were vegan. You could convert a lot of people with that photo. I'm allergic to hazelnuts but I can imagine my family would do all kind of chores for a tray of these.

Oooh, these look like a great vegan recipe! I'll be sure to share it with some friends of mine!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More