Saturday 6 August 2011

Emma's Raw Apple Pie

The time has come for my first ever guest post! My lovely vegan friend Emma made a raw apple pie for this months vegan pot luck and I thought it would only be fair to share it with you. I'd heard a lot about how amazing this pie was so I was very excited to try it! It lived up to all my expectations, the flavours are better than any non vegan and cooked apple pies I've tried! Over to Emma:

This apple pie is great as it contains no sugar and is really healthy, as well as being a real treat.After reading so many different recipes online I decided to just make it up myself. I have discovered it is very popular with everyone, vegan, raw or carnivore!

Raw Apple Pie! 

Ingredients
Serves 4-6


350g dates
100g almonds, ground.
100g brazil nuts
8 apples
1 lemon
Cinnamon

Crust:

Put 250g of dates, brazil nuts (you can use any nuts) and almost all of your almonds into a food processor and blend.
The mixture should become a ball and not be too sticky, just add more almonds if it is.
Sprinkle the rest of the almonds thinly in your pie dish to stop the crust sticking.
Press the mixture into the dish tightly and evenly.
Put into the fridge while you prepare the filing.


Lovely Crust!

Topping:

Peel and core 2 apples and slice thinly.
Place in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and set aside.

Filling:

Start by peeling, coring and chopping 4 of the apples and placing them in a food processor along with the rest of your dates.
Originally I was only going to use dates in the crust but I wanted my filling to be thicker.
Add the juice of 1/2 lemon and a generous teaspoon of cinnamon.
Blend thoroughly.
Peel, core and chop 2 more of your apples and blend until chopped into small pieces, do not overdo it.
Mix the two together.
Spread the filling evenly over your crust.

Decorate with the sliced apple and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Put in the fridge for an hour to set.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Vegan dishes like the raw apple pie is a delicious meal to prepare.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More