Thursday 27 October 2011

Tofu Thai Green Curry

I love tofu, and now I've discovered I love thai green curry so this really is a match made in heaven. The only problem is that sometimes tofu doesn't like to cooperate, resulting in sloppy messes or gross squelchy textures. So for this recipe the tofu really needs to be dry fried to prevent it from turning in to thai green tofu scramble (although I suppose that might be nice). There are some excellent instructions for how to dry fry here and for some reason I always find tofu easier to use if it's been frozen and defrosted (I'm not sure if you're supposed to do this, but I'm still alive sooo...). Any way I got this recipe from my friend Emma and have adapted it a bit, and I don't think there's any reason to ever try another recipe! It's amazing, her Dad even said he'd pay for it in a restaurant (but then as she she said, he is her Dad).



For 2 You'll need:


3 small green chilies, chopped and de-seeded (I like to roll them in my fingers and squeeze the seeds out)
4 small shallots, peeled and chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
2 stalk lemon grass, with the nubs cut off
2 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
2 large handfuls of fresh coriander, stalks removed
A thumb of galangal or ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp oil
Juice of 1 lime
Green vegetables of your choice chopped (I used and red pepper because thats all I had) 
200g dry fried tofu
1 tin of coconut milk
  1. Put the chillies, shallots, coriander, lemon grass, garlic, soy sauce, cumin, corriander, galangal, oil and lime juice in to a food processor and blend until smooth to make the thai green curry paste.
  2. Heat a little oil in a pan and add the green vegetables, fry for around 5 minutes until just starting to soften.
  3. Add the tofu and 2 generous spoonfuls of the paste to the pan and fry for around 3 mins (you can add more paste to taste after adding the coconut milk if you want).
  4. Add the coconut milk, and heat to a gentle simmer.
  5. Once lovely and reduced (around 15 minutes) take off the heat and serve with some sticky white rice.
You may have some paste left over but I will post a recipe you can use it with soon :) and if you live near an ASDA you can pick up this handy pack which has most of the ingredients you need to make the curry!

5 comments:

I'm so impressed you made the curry paste! I'm so lazy - I just find a vegan-friendly one in a jar. Think I should give this a go sometime!!

I am a huge curry fan,thanks for the share!

I usually use it from a jar but they'd sold out of vegan ones in ASDA so I decided to try and make it. It's really easy and tastes so fresh, plus you can make it as spicy as you want! This is one of my new favourite recipes, I can't believe I've never tried to make it before this!

This sounds absolutely delicious. Also a little tip to prevent tofu from falling apart - Once taken out of the packaging, compress it by placing a heavy skillet or dish on top of the tofu and leave for about 10 minutes. Its usually how i get my tofu pieces to stay intact when added to stir fries :)

:D Thank you for the tofu tip.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More