Sunday 21 August 2011

Victoria Sponge Cake Balls

After the lovely Delicious Magazine posted this competition to see what we could do with their world beating Victoria sponge recipe, I decided to get my thinking cap on. I'm a huge fan of a good old sponge, but I thought I'd try something new and came up with these. Victoria sponge cake balls filled with raspberry jam, they're quite simple to make and make a change from the classic cake! Why not give them a try:


Follow the world beating Victoria sponge recipe to make your sponges, once cooled break the cake up into a bowl and crumble up into a bread crumb consistency (I find it easier to do with my hands).

Yummy cake crumbs
Then make up some butter cream icing by creaming together 100g butter, 200g icing sugar and a few drops of vanilla extract, spoon it in to the cakey bread crumbs and mix it in really well (again, I like to do this with my hands). Then pick up a small amount of mixture and roll it in to a ball, make a little hole in the middle and fill with raspberry jam. Take some more mixture to cover the hole and then keep cupping the cake until it forms a ball.

Fill the cake ball like so...

Place the balls on a grease proof lined tray and place in the fridge for a few hours to set. When ready roll the balls in icing sugar and enjoy!


Wish me luck :)

3 comments:

I love this! Looks yummy :)

This is really a unique recipe and I am sure that Delicious magazine will be impressed. I am wondering how many this makes and what measurement of crumbs is used to make the ball, for I am considering making them. Thanks for sharing this-yum!

I made them quite big so it made about 8 for me. I didn't measure it out but I'd make them in to bite sized balls. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More