Thursday 1 September 2011

Asparagus and Leek Strudel

The other day I was doing some strudel research online, when I stumbled on a genius recipe for a savoury one. I can't believe I've never thought of this before, because strudel/anything encased in pastry is one of my favourite things! So I thought I'd try it with two of my favourite vegetables to make the ultimate savoury strudel. It came out really well, and looks quite fancy and interesting too, so I'll probably break out something similar for my next dinner party/Christmas.

Lovely veg
 For 4 you'll need:

400g asparagus
2 large leeks
4 tbsp mascarpone
200g emmental, finely grated
salt and pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
8 sheets of filo pastry
Milk for glazing (or beaten egg if you want)

Again, I'm not very good at serving food!

  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, then trim the leeks and boil them whole with the asparagus for 4 minutes.
  2. Remove from the water and let dry, then slice the leeks length ways and griddle with the asparagus on a high heat for 5 mins or until they have nice char marks (you can grill them if you don't have a griddle)
  3. Mix together the cheese, mascarpone and lemon juice and season well. 
  4. Lay two sheets of filo pastry on top of each other on a baking tray, then cover with a quarter of the cheese mixture, repeat for the other 3 strudels. 
  5. Lay the asparagus and leeks on top of the cheese, fold over the bottom edges, then fold the other sides in so it looks strudely. 
  6. Turn it over so the folds are underneath, give it a milky wash, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
  7. Serve with salad and buttery new potatoes and enjoy!
Lovely served with salad and new potatoes 

2 comments:

I'm reading this before breakfast, so it's really not fair that it sounds so yummy. Being (much) older that you I am a long time fan of the savoury strudel. Like you, if it has phyllo pastry wrapped around it it's going to be a winner. I do a shiitake, roquefort and asparagus one in 'brik' pastry,that I posted fairly recently. Great minds obviously think alike...

Oh wow! I just checked them out, they look amazing! Yes, I think anything in pastry is going to be a winner, your recipe sounds perfect for christmas with the lovely blue cheese. I might have to try it out :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More