Tuesday 20 September 2011

Tofu Chili Stuffed Peppers

At the beginning of this summer I brought a little green house and my dad brought me a few plants to grow. I have spring onions, lettuce, tomatoes and peppers... Basically I can make a mean home grown salad.


Ever since I saw a tiny green pepper sprouting out of my plant pot, I had this recipe in mind. But it's now been about 4 months and I'm too impatient to wait for it to grow. So this week I brought a regular sized pepper and stuffed it with chili tofu. This is the first time I've had chili made with tofu, I usually go with beans or vegetables, but as I love both chili and tofu so much I couldn't really see how it could go wrong! If you really dislike tofu then you could always try stuffing it with this chili instead.
This is my one and only pepper I'm growing, you may wonder why he's not in his green house... Well it blew away, leaving me with a GYO disaster!
For 4 you'll need:
400g drained tofu
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cayenne powder
1/2 tbsp paprika
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin kidney beans drained
4 green peppers
  1. Soften the onion in a small amount of oil in a heavy based pan.
  2. Crumble the tofu in to the pan, then season with the chili power, cayenne pepper and paprika.
  3. Fry the spiced tofu mixture for around 5 minutes on a medium heat to remove any excess moisture then add the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans.
  4. Simmer for around 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
  5. Then cut an oval shaped hole in the pepper, remove all the seeds and strange white bits and fill with the chili. 
  6. Pop into a preheated oven for 20 minutes, until slightly browned on the outside.
  7. Serve with some boiled brown rice and enjoy!
I'm not sure if my pepper will ever get to a normal size, if not I'll have to find another use for it! But it's a shame because the green pepper is so nice filled with chili, and I'm sure it would taste about 100 times better if I grew it myself! 

3 comments:

I feel your pain over your green house the wind blew over(and tore apart) my gazebo that I had saved and yearned for. It took me oh maybe 15 years to get it and only 10 minutes for mother nature to tell me I could not have it.. Anyway, You need to put your pepper in a bigger pot!

I got 5 gallon buckets and used them with rocks in the bottom for added drainage and then when winter came I moved them all to the basement and had a florecent sun light on them..I had fresh veggies most of the winter!

<3 sending blog <3 your way and I also re-posted your recipe be sure to come by!http://my-bloggityblog.blogspot.com/

Oh that's awful! The wind was so bad, all my pot's smashed and loads of the plants I'd grown couldn't be saved. Thank you for the advice, I'm new to growing so all help is very welcome! Thank you so much for reposting too, I'm loving your blog :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More