Tuesday 7 February 2012

Roast Sweet Potato, Goats Cheese and Spinach Pie

I don't think I like snow. As much as a try to, it ruins everything and is also really, really cold. Last year it ruined Christmas Dinner with my friends and this year it made me go in to work while my boyfriend and friends attached a sled to a car and had loads of fun. Although it's a life ruiner there are some good things about snow such as building snowmen, seeing your dog go mental and having an excuse to eat lots of comfort food. 



I can't think of any food that is quite as comforting as pie, especially as it's usually accompanied by mounds of mashed potato and thick gravy. It's up there with mac and cheese and as I already have some premade mac and cheese in the fridge (I was desperate), I decided to brave the snow and walk to the shops to get ingredients for a flavorful, warming pie. The recipe is based on the delicious Heidi pie by Pieminister and it is definitely a labour of love, especially if you make your pastry from scratch, but it is so worth it! So I made up some rough puff, chucked some fresh veggies in a roasting tin and settled in for a night in my onesie, chowing down on pie.

Serves 2:

350g home made rough puff (I use half of this recipe)
1 medium sweet potato chopped into small chunks
1 small red onion chopped into small chunks
2 cloves of garlic peeled
A big glug of olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 handfuls of baby spinach roughly torn
50g goats cheese chopped in to chunks

  1. Put the sweet potato, onion and garlic in to a small roasting tin, cover with olive oil, season well and pop in to a preheated oven (200 degrees) for 40 minutes, mixing occasionally.
  2. While the vegetables are in the oven roll out the pastry and line your pie dish with 2/3 and keep the other 1/3 for the top.
  3. Put your spinach into a colander and pour boiling water over to wilt it, then put to one side. 
  4. When the roasted vegetables are ready, remove from the oven and roughly squish with the back of a fork leaving some chunks intact. Make sure all of the garlic is sqished and mixed in though, as I imagine that wouldn't be nice to find! 
  5. Mix the spinach and goats cheese in, then spoon the mixture in to the pastry lined pie dish. 
  6. Roll out the rest of the pastry and cover the top of the pie, trim the edges and make some kind of super cool decoration for the top (I made a star). 
  7. Pop in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until it's nice and browned and serve it up with lots of mash and gravy! 

3 comments:

Sounds gorgeous! Will definitely give this a go, I love sweet potato!! Don't know about making my own pastry though, did you do it because it was vegan/veggie? or because you are actually non-lazy? lol xx

Haha no just roll is vegan! It's the first time I've ever made rough puff, I just thought I'd give it a go. It tastes so much better and is surprisingly easy, just time consuming! xx

I made this this evening, it was absolutely delicious. Thank you for this recipe.
http://laurapeta.wordpress.com/

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More