Saturday 17 March 2012

Creme Egg Brownies

Any one who knows me know that I like making brownies a lot, which subsequently means I have eaten a lot of brownies. Every now and then I like to change it up a bit and chuck some extras in (you may remember the s'more and slutty brownies) and as Easter is coming up I had the perfect thing in mind.


I've had creme egg baking on the brain ever since I saw these cupcakes and since it was my Birthday this weekend, I needed to fit some special baking in. Obviously I was thinking of putting creme eggs inside the brownies, but I thought it needed something extra to make it look and taste even more exciting. So that's where the white and yellow patches came in, they're actually made from cream cheese mixture, so these are more of a creme egg, cheesecake brownie. I froze the eggs for 2 hours prior to baking so that the didn't explode. They did, of course but it means that there's a nice layer of cream egg goo distributed making them taste super delicious! These were a total experiment so if you make your own version let me know how they turn out!


For 18 brownies:

For the cream cheese egg goo:

400g plain cream cheese
2 eggs
125g caster sugar
1 tsp yellow food colouring

For the brownies:

18 mini creme eggs (frozen)
120g good quality dark chocolate
225g butter
4 large eggs
375g caster sugar
75g plain flour 
75g cocoa powder
  1. Start by making the cream cheese egg goo, whisk the cream cheese, caster sugar and eggs together until smooth and creamy and put to one side. 
  2. Then to make the brownies, melt the chocolate and butter together in a bain marie and leave to melt down completely. 
  3. While the chocolate/butter is melting, whisk the eggs and caster sugar together together until they have trebled in volume, then add the flour, cocoa powder and melted butter/chocolate mix and whisk together until well combined. 
  4. Pour a 3/4 of your brownie mix into a greaseproof paper lined tin and place the frozen creme eggs on top, then blob half of the cream cheese mixture on top.
  5. Add the yellow food colouring to the rest of the cream cheese mix and then blob that on as well. 
  6. Then spoon the rest of the brownie mix on and swish it around with a skewer until you have a marbled effect. 
  7. Pop the brownie mix in to a preheated oven for 40 minutes, until firm and springy. 
  8. Leave them to cool, then chop up and enjoy! 

2 comments:

These looks amazing ! I don't actually know what I would do if cream eggs weren't vegetarian! :/ Easter would just not be the same :D x

Omg Heather. I am literally sitting here drooling...

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More