Friday 1 June 2012

Cameron's Brasserie, Stony Stratford

I've definitely mentioned before that I live in the good old city... town? Of Milton Keynes and there's not much veggie stuff going on here. So when I got an e-mail from Cameron's Brasserie saying that they we're holding a 4 course vegetarian evening during National Vegetarian Week, I couldn't wait to book a table. I've eaten at The Navigation Inn, Dan Cameron's first venture, countless times and always enjoyed the variety of vegetarian options. And recently tried Cameron's Brasserie for the first time, so I was more than excited that there would be a whole menu dedicated to vegetarian food. The restaurant is situated in Odells yard in Stony Stratford and fits in perfectly with the charming market town. It was extremely hot when we went, but the huge doors were open making it light and airy in the restaurant. Once again I forced Mr Hef to eat vegetables with me, I don't think he was too enthused, but still enjoyed it (more than he let on, I'm sure!).

Boccancini Mozzarella, Air Cured Heirloom Tomato and Basil Salad
The vegetarian evening consisted of a 4 course set menu and I booked with out even looking because I was sold by the fact that there would only be meat free food! The first course was that cute little cauldron thing above filled with Boccancini Mozzarella, Air Cured Heirloom Tomato and Basil Salad. It was a nice light way to start the meal and I seriously wanted to steal the pot, I'm not sure what I would have done with it, but I want one.

Asparagus in Filo Pastry, Wilted Wild Garlic, Pink Grapefruit Hollandaise

The second dish was asparagus in filo pastry, wilted wild garlic and pink grapefruit hollandaise which was funking delicious. I love asparagus, so any kind of asparagus on my plate makes me happy. This made me extra happy though because it was wrapped in perfectly crunchy filo pastry and covered in tasty hollandaise sauce. 
Mushroom and Goats Cheese Wellington, Parmentier Potatoes, Crushed Peas and Mascapone and Chantenay Carrots 
The main meal had a mushroom in it, I knew there would be one snuck in there somewhere so I had already prepared myself. But to my surprise I loved it and actually ate the whole thing, it was cooked to a good texture (no nasty slimeyness) and went perfectly with the onions and goats. Topped off with pastry it made a really delicious main. All of the other vegetables on the plate worked really well together and lets be honest, it looks pretty fantastic too!
Balsamic Marinated Strawberries, Vanilla Shortbread with Basil and Cassis Sorbet
The desert was the most interesting dish, mainly because it had basil sorbet! I'm not going to lie, it was pretty weird, but it did go well with the balsamic strawberries and overall it was really delicious, very tart and full of flavour. Mr Hef didn't like it so much but still managed to eat his vanilla shortbread.

It was £23.95 for the set menu, which I think is great value for the quality and variety of the food. I really hope they put the night on again, as it was so nice to go out somewhere in Milton Keynes and have a whole vegetarian meal in a really wonderful restaurant. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More