Thursday 19 July 2012

Facon Tegg Hefmuffin

Vegan fish and chips wasn't the only thing I tried at Lushfest, I also tried veggie bacon for the first time (well, not according to my Mum, but the first time I can remember). Before actually trying it I had already decided that veggie bacon was something from my nightmares. It looks super weird and I don't actually like the smell of bacon or the thought of ever eating it so had just disregarded it until now. 


There was a cute little tea and toast van selling tea and toast funnily enough, but they were also selling gourmet veggie bacon rolls. I wasn't too interested until the girl with me brought one, after seeing the bun filled with onions, mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes and topped of with veggie bacon, I got those dreaded food envies! So the next day I brought one and experienced the delights of veggie bacon, it didn't have much of a bacon flavour, probably due to all of the other delicious flavours going on so I decided that I would give it a try at home. Luckily this week Vegan Emma turned up at my door with Redwoods veggie bacon, tofu and english muffins in tow (we're clearly on the same wave length). We were going to make tofu scramble, but then Emma told me she's seen some kind of tofu egg bacon muffin on Vegan Zombie and we knew we had to try and re-create it! This one tasted really bacony to me, (not so much to my mum who eats the real thing) I felt like I was cheating on my vegetarian self a bit, but it was really yummy and the tofu egg was the best! It's super easy to make and perfect for lazy Sunday mornings.

To make 2:

200g drained tofu (I also find it's better if it's been frozen and defrosted) cut in to a circular shape (the same size as the muffin)
2tsp turmeric
2tsp paprika
a very large pinch of salt and pepper
50g plain flour
A large glug of olive oil
4 rashers of redwoods bacon rashers
2 English muffins
Vegan marge

  1. Put the turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper on to a plate then pop the tofu on top, flip it over and make sure its well coated all over, then do the same with the flour and make sure it's well coated. 
  2. Pour your olive oil in to a frying pan and turn up to a high heat, then place your tofu egg into the pan. 
  3. Fry on each side until golden brown then turn the heat right down. 
  4. Cook your bacon rashers in a separate pan to your liking (we used a griddle pan for a few minutes for a bit of crunch).
  5. Then toast your muffin, butter (I mean vegan marge) it up, place your tofu egg on then your bacon and complete your Bacon Tegg Hefmuffin with it's little muffin hat. 
  6. We served ours up with garlicy spinach and mushrooms (I love Emma enough to accept them on my plate when she's around) and loads of tomato ketchup. YUM. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More