Wednesday 8 August 2012

Vegan Tales From The Creepy Death Cabin: Part 2

Vegan Emma did most things for me in the cabin, she cleaned up my mess, brought me breakfast in the mornings and made me tea. It was quite possibly the best thing ever, especially as this included her making me an amazing vegan meal on the second night. It did contain two of my most dreaded foods, mushrooms and aubergine, but I would eat anything Emma put in front of me (She'd be the best vegan housewife ever). To add to her super woman cooking skills, she managed to do this all in the dark with only a torch, some candles and a paraffin lamp. 


Emma's Peperonata

Serves 4:

A glug of olive oil 
1 large red onion chopped
1 glove of garlic 
250g mushrooms chopped 
1 aubergine chopped
2 red peppers 
250g passata 
1 tsp mixed herbs
A good pinch of salt and pepper
  1. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook on a low heat until softened. 
  2. Add the rest of the vegetables and turn the heat up, give them a good old fry for around 10 minutes, then add the passata, herbs, salt and pepper. 
  3. Simmer for ages! (an hour and a bit) Until all the vegetables are nice and soft. 
  4. Then serve up with some cous cous and toasted bread... it really is as simple as that! 


 
Then after scaring ourselves to death on the second night and hiding behind the locked wagon door we decided we needed to man up, go outside and light a fire. The main reason for this was that we wanted to make BBQ'd bananas. I've tried for many years to convince people they're amazing, but it just hasn't taken. Luckily, Emma and I are pretty much the same person so she loves BBQ'd bananas too! They're very simple to make, just slice the banana length ways, fill it with goodies, wrap in foil and chuck it on the fire, it's done when it's hot and squishy. I filled mine with vegan chocolate and marshmallows and Emma had a more refined carmelised banana with vegan marg and sugar. They were both delicious and we didn't get killed by a mass murderer hiding in the woods. Smiles all round! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More