Sunday 13 January 2013

Ramen

Do you ever get to that point in the week after Christmas where you couldn't possibly stomach any more Christmas food? No, me either which is why I chased this dish with a slice of Christmas cake, but I did fancy making something different. After having Ramen with my brother a couple of weeks ago I wanted to try and re-create it at home. It's a really simple recipe, the only hard part is trying to get hold of some of the ingredients, luckily I still had some miso paste and wakame in my cupboard from when I made miso soup. So all I needed was tofu, sweet corn and some spring onions. It would be good with shitake mushrooms and topped with a hard boiled egg, but I am afraid of eating both of these things.


Serves 2

100g tofu, drained and pressed
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp sweet chili sauce
1 pack of Clear Spring Miso Bouillon Paste
500 ml boiling water
A handful of wakame seaweed
100g ramen noodles
2 spring onions, chopped
50g sweetcorn
1 tsp sesame seeds

  1. Start by chopping your tofu in to small triangles, then mixing the hoisin and sweet chili sauces together. Then pop the tofu in to the sauces and leave to marinate for around 2 hours. 
  2. Once the tofu has absorbed all of the flavours, dry fry it (no oil) on a medium heat in a non stick pan until its nice and crispy on the outside, then pop to one side. 
  3. Pop your wakame in to a bowl of luke warm water to soak and pop it to one side. 
  4. Add the boiling water to a sauce pan, then stir the miso paste in, add the ramen noodles and cook for 3 minutes, then drain the wakame and add it to the miso broth. 
  5. Cook for a further minute then transfer it to a bowl, top with your tofu, sweet corn, spring onion (and whatever else you want to add) and enjoy! 

2 comments:

I NEED to have a go at this Heather - I keep seeing Ramen all over blogs and Instagram and it looks SO good! I have very recently gotten into cooking tofu at home - I love it!

Yes! I'm a massive tofu (and ramen) fan! Let me know how it goes.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More