Thursday 14 February 2013

Vegan Toad in the Hole

I've wanted to make vegan toad in the hole for ages, but I only really make toad in the hole if Mr Hef is coming round for tea. He's on holiday this week, so I thought why not, I'll cook a gigantic meal all for myself. I've made vegan yorkshires before using this recipe (I used this one because I'm afraid of egg replacers and other such things), so I just adapted it to what I had in my house and added veggie sausages. It couldn't be simpler and it actually came out better than some of the disastrous non-vegan ones I've made (I once made one which was just like a giant cake with sausages inside). Served with creamy mash and peas, this is the best vegan comfort meal I have ever discovered!


Serves 4

8 vegan sausages (I used these ones, just prepare according to the instructions)
A large glug of olive oil
225g plain flour
2 tsp gram flour
1 pint of almond milk
A large pinch of salt

  1. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees, prepare your baking pan (large enough to fit 8 sausages in!) by pouring enough olive oil to cover the bottom in, then pop it in to the oven for 10 minutes. 
  2. After 10 minutes, place your sausages in the pan and cook them in the oil for 10 minutes. 
  3. Make the batter by sifting together the salt, plain flour and gram flour, then slowly whisk the almond milk in until you have a nice runny mixture with loads of bubbles (I like to use and electric whisk).
  4. Remove your pan from the oven, and pour half of your mixture in to the pan, pop back in to the oven for 10 minutes, then pour the other half over the top. Pop back in to the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until it's looking brown and crispy. 
  5. Serve up with some yummy mash and veg and enjoy! 

3 comments:

Awesome. First recipe I've seen that uses gram flour, I prefer that to pre-mixed egg replacers. Poppy

Is the gram flour neccesary? I want to make this tonight but have none x

I’ve made it without before and it’s fine :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More