Monday 24 June 2013

St Petroc's Bistro, Padstow

No one else in my family is vegetarian, my Mum once was, but after a few months I came home to find her eating a steak and she hasn't looked back since. So when we go out for a meal, it's usually not very vegetable centric. Despite this I will ALWAYS find something to eat, I'm not a fussy vegetarian and to be honest, if it's food and it's reasonably yummy I am happy.

We've been to Cornwall a few times with Daddy Hef and he's always mentioned going to Rick Steins restaurant and now that my older brother and I are actual grown up people with real jobs (my little brother is still a lazy bum) I thought it would be nice to finally take him there. First of all I looked at the Seafood restaurant, which does look lovely, but the vegetarian options make me a little sad and I would probably have had to sell my soul, my car and possibly my body to pay the prices in there. So after a little research I settled on St Petroc's Bistro (I only had to sell my soul for this one, I need my car for getting around and my body for filling with food). There is a few vegetarian options for the starters, I went for asparagus with hollandaise, because if you didn't already know I am obsessed with asparagus. The asparagus was cooked perfectly and as this was the first time I have eaten hollandaise that has not come from a jar, it was a proper delight for my taste buds. I could have eaten at least 4 (maybe even 5) plates of it.



So then it was on to the mains. There was only one option which was the oven dried tomato, thyme and cornish blue cheese tart. You could choose sides, but as I knew I wanted to eat a desert I just had the tart with a salad on the side. It was really beautifully cooked, with just the right amount of blue cheese. You never want too much blue cheese in a meal, you need a good mold to other ingredients ratio.


For desert I went for the lemon tart, which is one of my favourite deserts and I have to say that this is the best one I have ever tried. It had a wonderfully tart centre, which was caramelised on top (yum) and incased in a delicious crumbly pastry case. It was the perfect end to the meal. So if you're in the area definitely check it out, don't be put off by the fact that there is only one vegetarian main, because what ever it is, I'm sure it will be amazing. And if you are a meat eater, my family all seemed pretty happy with their meaty dishes.

P.s I'm sorry for the lack of proper images, they seem to get worse as the pictures go on, I think this is due to it getting darker and darker and me being too lazy to get my proper camera out of my bag.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More