Sunday 27 April 2014

Food for Friends, Brighton

I turned 25 just over a month ago, when I was younger I thought by the time I was 25 I would be married with children and a mortgage. Luckily I only have one of those things, so I'm still free to go on Birthday adventures. This year Mr Hef took me to Brighton for a beautiful day of sitting on the beach, playing in the arcade, shopping in the Lanes and eating at Food for Friends. I've wanted to go to Food for friends for ages and after a bit of convincing Mr Hef agreed to take me. The restaurant is lovely inside, it was a sunny day so it was really bright and airy. We went straight for the main meal, I ordered the Halloumi burger (I cant resist a bit of fried halloumi) which came with balsamic portobello mushroom, grilled red pepper and gherkins in homemade brioche bun served with sweet potato chips, wasabi aioli, and dressed leaves. It was perfect, I feel like all other burgers in life won't live up to it. 


Mr Hef ordered the goat’s cheese, goji berries, toasted hazelnut and pear salad with dressed mizuna and lambs leaves, ‘parmesan’ crisps and pesto croutons. Which was surprising because the only time I see him eat salads is if it's a token piece of green on his plate. But I think he was attracted by the goats cheese and the pesto croutons. He really loved his dish as well (I tried a bit, I can see why) and he ate it all apart from some of the 'parmesan' crisps, which somehow ended up in my mouth. 


When it came to desert I had the internal struggle of what to choose. I narrowed it down to either the coconut and black sesame ‘arancini’ with fresh coconut, black sesame and trio of mango – sorbet or the deconstructed passion fruit and vanilla cheesecake with mojito fluid gel, fresh passion fruit and mint sorbet. Then I managed to sway Mr Hef's decision so that I could try them both (always a good idea). The coconut and black sesame 'arancini' tasted like little balls of coconut/donut heaven and went perfectly with the mango sorbet.


The deconstructed mango cheesecake was equally as good, rich and creamy and topped off perfectly with the fresh passion fruit (now one of Mr Hefs favourite fruits).


We both left with smiles on our faces, full bellies and the need to go back to Brighton very soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More